Wednesday, June 08, 2011

New Series: Best Fiends

It occurs to me that this is my dang blog, and I can do with it what I like!

Ok, maybe I can't confess to reading A Catcher in the Rye, but I can write on whatever subject I like and be misunderstood on it as well here as there. Thus, I propose a new series designed to edify the vast public on what it already knows well, because I have discovered that telling people new things is entirely unprofitable.

As my favorite philosopher has written, "where I am not understood, it shall be concluded, that something very useful and profound is coucht underneath; And again, that whatever word or Sentence is Printed in a different Character, shall be judged to contain something extraordinary either of Wit or Sublime." It is generally the case, after all, and I therefore recommend that my readers repeat the least comprehensible portions of what I write in conversation as an experiment upon the public. One of them may respond and explain the thing.

The series will contain six or seven parts, and it will deal with the dearest, closest fiends that humanity has: lust, gluttony, envy, sloth, avarice, anger, and pride. I'd include new ones, but, since the 16th century, we have invented steam power (unless the Hellenes had it), coal pollution, whale extinction, polymers, dioxins, petroleum, and spreading gasoline by-products on crops to make them grow, but we have neglected the art of innovation in depravity.

No comments: